Visual & Performing Arts
Intermediate Mid-Connecting Visual Arts
Visual arts career skills
Teacher's computer and Smartboard
Students' Chrome Books
This lesson could easily be one that is used throughout the semester, as the material is excellent "food for thought" that many students may mull over and re-think after watching. You can add to this lesson by researching loads of excellent video interviews/visual artists on PBS LEARNING.com and also POV.com.
!! Always PREVIEW a video before showing to students !!
Will your VISUAL ARTS PASSION become a CAREER?
The teacher will introduce this unit as a chance to learn the "inside story" of an artist's life, whether the artist is a painter, potter, weaver, etc. After a listing of all conceivable mediums, and a discussion of common "stereotypes" of what an artist's life would be like, students will watch VIDEO ENTRIES of artists' lives/work, noticing the setting of each artist's business [Do they rent/own a studio? work in their home/apt/ someone else's garage, etc? Do they live in a large city, or a rural setting, & WHY, possibly, have they chosen these settings?]. Students will take notes on EACH VIDEO ENTRY, and these notes will become a "journal" of ARTS POSSIBILITIES, to be created/compiled/saved on their chrome book, to be printed later as a MINI-RESEARCH PROJECT. Each student's RESEARCH PROJECT will be a PORTFOLIO containing a resume of the student's:
1. Arts activities in school or community
2. Completed artworks
3. Artworks which are "studies
4. Awards, if applicable
5. A list of APPRENTICESHIPS that are offered in S.C. or neighboring states
6. A list of ARTS FESTIVALS that relate to the student's interest,
7. Inspirational photos of scenes, figures, abstracts, ANY ARTIST'S WORK that inspires you.
8. A digital collection of the student's work so far, that may be used to begin a PORTFOLIO, no matter how much- or how little- work has been produced so far. IT'S IMPORTANT TO START HONORING WORK ATTEMPTED AND PRODUCED, and middle/high school is an excellent time to begin.
What are the avenues for creating a viable VISUAL ARTS CAREER in an area that is a student's PASSION? After watching video interviews of numerous visual artists, their career beginnings and current lifestyle, students will have some concrete facts about the REWARDS AND CHALLENGES in pursuing a career in the arts.