Multi-step,four operations, real-world problems
Technology and Engineering
- Smartboard and computer for group/class use of websites and to view videos or
- 1:1 device such as a Chromebook, laptop, or tablet
- Something to record a video- cell phone, iPAD, iPod, Chromebook, tablet, flip camera, etc.
Materials per group
For the activator:
- 1 Flashlight per group
- 1 Ziploc bag with 10 objects such as books, different kinds of paper (construction paper, tracing paper, newspaper, tissue paper, colored cellophane paper), different items to wrap food (plastic wrap, aluminum foil, waxed paper), different types and colors of fabric, glass, plastic, etc. These items will be used to discover opaque, transparent, and translucent and they will be used for an activity) per group
- White cardstock for Engage
For the independent practice:
- 2 posable dolls such as a Barbie ™ Doll/ per group
- 1 cardboard box no smaller than 18in x 12 in to be used as a backdrop for the video activity
- Flashlights or battery operated LED lights
- The materials from the Ziploc bag
- Pipe cleaners, clothespins for holding lights in the studio activity
Materials per student
- Does Light Pass Through handout
- Design Your Own Studio handout
Lights, Camera, Action!
Through the eyes of a director on a TV set, students will experience how lighting plays a role in production while more deeply investigating the STEM behind the profession of director.
How does light interact differently with a variety of materials?