Major Developments in SC in the late 19th and 20th Centuries
Places and Regions in South Carolina
Agriculture, Industry, and Technology
Interaction Between People and the Physical Landscape
Smart Board/LCD Projector - computers/individual devices - student access to the internet
- Smart Board/LCD Projector /Computers/personal devices
- If you have access to a Smart Board and the Education Gallery, pictures of the modes of transportation can be found along with a blank timeline. If you don't have access to a Smart Board, you can draw a time line on a chart and allow students to attach pictures of the modes of transportation in sequence of invention.
- A blank timeline
- Pictures of various modes of transportation from Native American canoes through the steam engine
- Completed SC map and blank maps of SC
- Chart paper and construction (or newsprint) paper
- Markers, pencils, and colored pencils
The Best Friend of Charleston, The Charleston Railroad
Between 1820 and 1830, Charleston was feeling threatened by perceived economic disaster. During the Colonial period, trading and shipping with other cities had gained importance.Imports, as well as exports, were down. In DeBow’s Review, August 1849, it was reported that cotton exports from South Carolina were not keeping up with other states.This lesson explores why transportation was needed in Charleston, and the history of the "Best Friend of Charleston".